LIBBY
by Alicia Bunce
I sit on my bedroom floor
next to her
I see her eyes fill with tears
What strong eyes
What beautiful eyes
They have seen such desolated pictures
Yet still shine
I want to cry too
It was her own mother
who breathed her last breath
I want to say I know
what you're going through
But I can't
I don't
She holds so much inside
People forget
She does not forget
She can't
She won't
Who do you blame?
God?
They say everyone on earth has a purpose
But how can your purpose be
to fight cancer?
I know she has many questions
Not for dad
brother
me
But for mom
Questions only a mom would know
It is hard to imagine my mother
not seeing me graduate
get married
have my first child
But her mom really will
and with the best seat in the house
Above looking down
surrounding all that lives with love
and with her special touch
Love ya Lib


7 comments:
WOW! I am balling Milli! Thanks so much for that...that was the sweetest thing I have heard in a long time! I never read taht poem from you...but I sure remember that class!
Alicia, what a beautiful poem. Both of your moms do have the best seats in the house. I am sure they are so proud of the women, wives, and mothers you have become. Thank you for sharing that with all of us!
I think I remember that poem. It meant a lot to me that you could see I missed her even after time had passed. You were okay with me being sad every now and then. It is still hard, and I am sorry that you share in this experience too.
I do think that the loss of our mothers has the potential to make us better mothers (not better than anyone else, but just better on a personal level). Because I miss my Mom so often, so much, I understand how sweet a mother/child relationship is. It is lasting whether present in this world or not.
I know the things that my kids will remember about me and it will NOT be about how often I mopped the floors or what kind of expensive watch I wore. On the days when I want to take off my "mom badge" I remember that my kids love me fiercly, and look up to me. They desire my friendship, my time, my approval, and my unconditional love. My mother inspires me to give all of that as often as I am able.
Whoa I totally just hijacked your blog- sorry!
Beautiful...absolutely beautiful! Thank you for sharing that, both of your mother's were wonderful, unforgettable people. Love you both. xo always
Alicia-
That was so sweet. It makes me feel sad for all my friends who have lost their mothers, and very fortunate for the relationship I have with mine, and with Jaydin.I think of both of you often.I know both of your moms are so proud.
Love Jana
PS Nice new look on the blog..
What a beautiful poem Alicia. I can't emagine not not having my mother around to see the everyday little things. Your poem puts it in to perspective that we should everyday appreciate the family we have and not be shy about letting them all know that we love them! But with faith in the Lord we all know your poem is correct. That both of your mom's do have the best seat in the house!
Thank you for sharing. I think that I was meant to read this so that I can appreciate both my girls and my Mom that much more! It was a beautiful poem, and I can tell how much both you and Libby are enjoying your roles as Mom and Friend to your children!
Post a Comment